Imagine yourself on a big Alaskan river full of brawny salmon. You pick up your line, make two false casts and rocket a cast a solid 10 feet further than usual. You must have a Sage Maverick in your hand. If ever there was a big river or beach fishing salmon rod for Alaska this is it. This rod is made for big fish, big casts, and big flies, so what better place to use it than Alaska?
Although the Sage Maverick was designed for warm saltwater fishing, it has plenty of application for Alaska salmon. This rod is not made for small stream nymph fishing for steelhead. The Sage Motive is made for stripping or swinging flies for big, ocean-bright salmon in heavy current. A surprisingly light and easy rod to handle, the Maverick truly impressed us, especially because it comes in at $550!
Made for saltwater, we expected a stiff broom stick of a rod, but that’s not what we got. The Sage Maverick was meant for long distance casts and fighting strong fish, but is light enough to cast all day with little fatigue. If you know how to haul your line, your fly could very well end up on the other side of the river.
Ankle-deep bonefish flats to bait balls in bluewater, the MAVERICK has been designed from the ground up with Konnetic Technology to be fine-tuned to the demanding needs of saltwater specific applications. Tailored for quick-shots and hearty fights, it’s the perfect tool for any angler stepping into the saltwater arena where speed is of the utmost importance.
Saltwater angling is more often a game of quick shots than long casts. Dropping a fly in front of a cruising tarpon 20ft off the bow can be the difference between success and failure during a day on the flats. In fact, most saltwater fisheries put a premium on getting the fly to the target quickly. Redfish meandering about Louisiana marshes, bonefish cruising marl-covered flats, and stripers slashing at bait all require a quick cast into “the zone” for high odds at a hookup. The quicker you can lay the fly down, the better the results. Sage’s new MAVERICK has been designed to maximize these quick-shot opportunities with a powerful tip section that drives the casting load down to more robust lower sections, making it easier to fire these quick efficient casts and helping the angler make the most of their finite opportunities. With a true saltwater specific backbone and design, the MAVERICK is ready for any salty challenge thrown its way.
- Quick-Shot Presentations
- Increased Pulling And Lifting Power
- Oversized Guide-Set To Help Reduce Tangles Of Larger Saltwater Knots
– Konnetic Technology – Pacific Blue blank color – Charcoal primary thread wraps with Light Grey trim wraps – Oversized Fuji ceramic stripper guides – Oversized hard chromed snake guides and tip-top – Corrosion resistant anodized aluminum reel seat in Matte Slate – Integrated “hidden” reel seat hook keeper – Super grade full-wells cork handle with cork/EVA fighting butt – Black rod bag with Titanium logo and Blue model tag – Matte Black powder coated aluminum rod tube with Sage Medallion
Lifetime Guarantee against breakage, means casting big weighted salmon flies fearlessly.
A quick note on how to read Sage’s rod sizes. Lets take an 890-4 as an example. The first number is the rod weight. In this case it is an 8 weight. The next two numbers are the rod length in feet and inches. This rod is 9 feet 0 inches. Then there is a dash 4 which means it is a four piece rod.
Brad Elfers has been a fly fishing & river guide in Alaska since 1993.He opened Alaska Fly Fishing Goods in 1998.
Get an expert answer to your Alaska fly fishing and travel question! See answered questions.
- The Chartreuse & White Dolly Llama is a silver, chum and king player. Tidewater and the lower st ...
- You don't want to fish for silvers without Purple & Pink Dolly Llamas in your fly box. Ridiculou ...
- Egg Sucking Leeches have long been a great king salmon fly in Alaska. But finding one on a big enoug ...
- The Pulse is one of the sweetest Sage rods we have fished in a long time. It does an amazing job of ...
- The Sage X might be the best rod ever made. Perfect for Alaskan fishing or anywhere else you might v ...