The 8110 X Series Switch can do it all and do it well. This is our favorite switch rod for coho all over the state and steelheading SE Alaska. Also a favorite for the Kenai, Illiamna and Bristol Bay area trout and salmon. We’ve even tackled 25+ pound kings with this bad boy!
Sage X Series 8110-4
The 8110-4 is THE Switch rod when it comes to chasing anadromous salmon and trout. It will cover the bases whether it be long indicator rigs and beads on the Kenai, stripping streamers for silvers in Bristol Bay, skating dries on the Bulkley or nymphing for Tierra Del Fuego Browns.
This rod is versatile. Great for overhead beach or boat casting, single hand indicator fishing with long leaders, skating dries with a Scandi head or throwing heavy flies and sink tips with a Skagit head.
Lamson Guru HD 4
Nautilus NV 9/10 or CCF-X2 10
Hatch 9 Plus
Single Hand Lines:
-Rio Coldwater Outbound WF9 in whatever sink rate you need for beach casting or overhead casting from a boat.
-Rio Switch 8/9 – Great for nymphing or beading (boat or shore) and with sink tips for single hand casting.
-Rio Switch Chucker 8. The all around floating line that overheads nicely and lets you crank out switch casts. The true do-it-all fly line.
Double Hand/Spey Lines:
-Airflo Scandi Compact 450-480 gr.- For dry line use such as skating dries and swinging nymphs (We like the 450gr for advanced casters, the 480gr. for most casters.
-Airflo Skagit Compact and Skagit Switch 510-570 gr.-For use with a sink tip and heavier flies (The 510gr. works well for advanced caster who like lighter heads. We like the 540gr. for most sink tip needs, but those who like to heavily load the rod may prefer the 570gr.)
Poly Leaders/Sink Tips:
-Airflo 10 Polyleaders (Floating and Intermediate sink for use with Scandi Heads and Fast Sink – Extra Super Fast for use with Skagit-style heads.)
-Airflo Custom Cut 200, 330 gr. cut to 8′-12′ (Use with Skagit style heads and lines.)
-Rio T8 cut to 10′-15′, T11 cut to 10′-15′(Use with Skagit style heads and lines.)
-Rio M.O.W. Tips in Light (T-8), Medium (T-11) and Heavy (T-14) are all well suited to the 8110 X-Rod.
The new Two-Handed X rods let you experience the remarkable benefits of KonneticHD Technology through access to the more powerful lower sections of the rod, allowing for easier and more efficient load carry through the casting stroke. The shaft’s significantly enhanced recovery and crisper tip stop optimize line speed to deliver long, smooth casts. The decreased vertical movement and vibrations in the blank result in a more accurate and efficient presentation.
– KonneticHD Technology®
– Black Spruce blank color
– Dark Green thread wraps with Metallic Grey trim wraps
– Fuji ceramic stripper guides
– Hard chromed snake guides and tip-top
– Stealth Black anodized aluminum reel seat, down-locking on
– Spey models, up-locking on Switch models.
– Integrated hidden hook keeper in reel seat on Switch models.
– Laser etched line weight on slide band<br
Brad Elfers has been a fly fishing & river guide in Alaska since 1993.He opened Alaska Fly Fishing Goods in 1998.
Get an expert answer to your Alaska fly fishing and travel question! See answered questions.
- The Pink Kriller is an amazing combination of realistic shrimpy fly and bright attractor pattern. It ...
- The Fuschia Orange Metal Head Tube pops like few other flies. The vibrant fuschia body and collar of ...
- Airflo took their already legendary Skagit Compact Shooting Heads and made them even better. The G2 ...
- Some of the biggest names in Spey casting get together and teach you how to to perform the modern sp ...
- The Rio Grand is the perfect Alaskan line. The fly line is graded a full line size heavier than indu ...