Looking for a killer king salmon reel? The Hatch 9 Plus will get the job done. It balances beautifully on 9 – 11 weight rods and matches classic good looks with the highest performance you will find in any reel. It is also one of our favorites to match with 8 weight switch rods and mid sized spey set ups.
Beauty, style and durability all in one reel. The Hatch 9 Plus Finatic is a fully machined aluminum reel with a sealed drag, perfect for freshwater or saltwater fishing. Here is what we like about the Gen 2 Finatic reels:
Beginning at the bottom, a Hatch signature feature is the one piece machined reel and reel foot. One piece construction eliminates corrosion around screws and is much stronger than a reel foot that is screwed on. Next, they have machined dimension into the frame, so you can pull all you want on the reel and spool, but they are not flexing from one another. The frame and spool use Hatch’s own ‘power flower’ to lock together in a bomb proof tight fit.
New for the Gen 2 Series is a mist finish that smoothes the edges of all parts and eliminates any glare. The drag sealing has been even further improved upon with lip seals and sealed bearings so water cannot get in the drag and eventually cause problems. Hatch has also redesigned the machining of the frame to reduce weight without losing strength. Finally the crank & counterbalance now feature an Ultrafon sleeve that inhibit galvanic corrosion so the crank will spin effortlessly for year.
The Hatch 9 Plus Finatic Large Arbor Reel with 30lb dacron backing it will hold:
- WF9F + 240 yards backing
- WF10F + 220 yards backing
- WF11F + 200 yards backing
A Mid Arbor version is also available. It will hold more backing but you will lose some pick up speed. The Mid Arbor is a very nice Spey Reel.
With 30lb backing the Mid Arbor will hold:
- WF9F + 300 yards backing
- WF10F + 280 yards backing
- WF11F + 260 yards backing
- BODY: Finatic
- PROTECTION: Type 2 Anodize
- LINE WEIGHTS: 9-11
- DIAMETER: 4.25″
- WIDTH: 1.375″
- WEIGHT: 10.3 oz
Brad Elfers has been a fly fishing & river guide in Alaska since 1993.He opened Alaska Fly Fishing Goods in 1998.
Get an expert answer to your Alaska fly fishing and travel question! See answered questions.
- The 5 Plus Gen 2 Finatic is a fantastic all around reel for streamer fishing or throwing big d ...
- Do you dream of catching huge King Salmon on a spey rod? We have the rod for you. The Echo King is a ...
- The 10'10" SR 8 is the best all around rod for steelhead and salmon. A very forgiving rod for the be ...
- The Generation 2 Hatch 7 Plus Finatic is the one reel that rules them all. From Steelhead to B ...
- The Pink Kriller is an amazing combination of realistic shrimpy fly and bright attractor pattern. It ...
- Creamsicle is a great color for hitting fish fresh out of the salt. And on our short coastal rivers ...